Monday, January 18, 2016

Sausage and potatoes

Is your fella a meat and potatoes kind of guy? Do you say meat n' potatuhs?

Then you might be a redneck. Or it's your Midwestern accent in which case, we accept you as you are.

For a quick week night dinner, I recommend this one pot meal that's on the table in 30 minutes. My mom used to make this for my two sisters and I when we were growing up. I'm not sure why she thought a hearty meal such as this was a match for three skinny girls who ate like birds. Maybe she was trying to fatten us up. Heh. I'm on to you, Mom!

Did I mention you only need three ingredients?

You'll need...
Polish sausage
5 small potatoes (or 2-3 big ones. You can use red, Russet, golden, whatever you have on hand)
One onion (white or yellow, or both)
S&P


I really like the flavor of kielbasa sausage, but you can use another variety. But really, Polish is where it's at. (They make a mean cabbage roll)


Grab a handful of potatoes.



Peel 'em up. I wasn't too particular about the skin so if you feel the need,  peel until they're completely naked.


Slice 'em up. The thinner the slices, the quicker these will fry up.



Thinly slice an onion. 


Add some oil to a large pan and crank the heat to medium high. The pan needs to be hot, hot, hot!


Add to the pan.


Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. I go easy on the salt since the kielbasa is already really salty. 


Unwrap from the package.


And slice into coins.


Add to the pan.


At this point, cover with the lid. The moisture from the onions and potatoes will create a steam room to help the cooking process.


Like dis!


This is about 5 minutes in. The onions should look translucent and the potatoes should start to brown.   Flip mixture with a spoon or tongs to cook evenly. Cover with the lid again and let this cook for another 8 minutes.


Do not be disturbed by the carmelized crunchiness of the potatoes. Those are the flavor bits! 


Serve in a bowl and you'll still have time to watch at least three episodes of Parks and Rec.

Not that I've done that or anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment